7.07.2011

Book Review: Dismantled


For the month of June we read Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon for Book Club. For the most part I really liked this book, all the way up until the end I loved it. It was scary and creepy and a really fast read. It was as they say "a page turner". Most of the time I just kept turning the pages until the last thing I read wasn't scary so I could fall asleep, ha! I mean ghosts, little kids, "imaginary" friends, possessed dolls...it was creeeepy!

10 years ago a group of 4 friends who were all art students at the same college formed a grouped, The Compassionate Dismantlers. They believed that the only true art is not to create something but to destroy it, take it apart until it is nothing again. They caused some disturbances in town, setting buldings on fire, destroying their college records, framing a professor for sexual assault, etc. They spent their last summer together at a cabin on a lake in the Vermont woods. Throughout the entire book we know that something happened at the lake to the leader of the group, Suz but we don't know what exactly until almost the very end of the book. All we know is that she is dead. Another girl in the group moved away and the other two, Tess and Henry get married and have a little girl.
Their marriage is troubled, Henry has moved into the barn and drinks a bit too much. Their daughter Emma is a little odd, she has OCD and is constantly counting and keeping things in order. She also has an imaginary friend that somehow knows about Suz and eventually her parents start to believe IS Suz! The little girl Emma and a friend decided to root around through her parents things to find a way to get them back together. They find a journal and photos from that summer at the lake and decide to send postcards to the other Dismantlers. A guy who wasn't really a member but was basically tormented by this group gets a postcard too and he kills himself. His family hires a private detective to find out why he would have killed himself. This guy starts sniffing around Tess and Henry who have kept the secret of what happened to Suz that summer. They become very frightened that the truth will come out and they will end up in prison.
Throughout the book it seems like Suz's ghost is haunting them all, leaving little trinkets around that once belonged to her, photographs, the daughter starts saying things that no one else would have known, etc. It definitely is scary and I loved it!
The ending was kind of a disappointment, I won't tell you why because other than that I highly recommend the book and I don't want to ruin the ending for you.

Have you read any good books lately? Every month I try to read one book on my own as well as the Book Club book. I'm trying to read all the books I own that I haven't read yet but have been on my book shelf for a while. Up next is The Witches of Eastwick. I think I got this at a garage sale or something but it's been on my shelf forever and I decided it's time to read it!

Signature

No comments: